Titus Contracting can help you transform your home's lower level in an open and inviting space.
If you are beginning to feel cramped in your living space but would prefer to stay in your Eagan neighborhood, then perhaps, it is time to look at your space from a different perspective. For many homes, there is an oft-overlooked and under-utilized space perfect for expanding your family’s living area – the lower level.
If your Eagan home has a basement that is being used only as an organized storage area, why not turn that place into “the perfect living space” to hang out? From beautiful home theaters, to office space, to an extra bedroom or playroom, there are many ways the lower area of your home can be transformed from wasted to wonderful – and often, in a surprisingly short amount of time. Titus Contracting specializes in lower level finishing, and we would love to help transform your space.
Not only does turning the lower level of your home from a basic space to a fully functional work, play, or entertainment space give you more room, but according to a report by Remodeling magazine, a lower level remodeling project has a 70.3% return on the investment. That makes it one of the highest yielding home project ROIs!
What to Know Before Embarking on a Lower Level RenovationHowever, in planning to turn your home’s lower level into a more usable space, there are some things to keep in mind. These include, but are not limited to, the following: If you are looking for the highest amount of return on your project, consider designing a space that has multiple uses.
- If you plan on converting your lower level into living space, it’s important to note the local ordinances regarding the number and size of egresses required.
- When planning the lighting, ducts, or changing the ceiling, you need to be certain there is enough headroom. As experienced builders, our team is up-to-date on building code, and we can help you determine what is safe and functional for your space.
- While many homeowners are opting to go with hardwood floors instead of carpeting for upstairs spaces; having carpet – especially a non-wool variety – will be easier and warmer than vinyl or wood in your basement. They work beautifully with lower-level eat-in kitchen spaces.
- When considering the overall layout of your lower level, it’s important to remember that it’s typically been an area where most of your household items have been stored. Titus can help you come up with creative storage solutions to find space for your things, and keep them organized, without compromising the great design of your new space.
- More and more, people are choosing to create a lower level suite for a parent or relative to be able to live in independently. Therefore, we often encourage people to think about adding a wet bar or kitchen to their lower level. If you put the necessary plumbing in place before closing up the walls, you will have a much easier time converting it in the future should you need it.
- Don’t forget the proper insulation! Eagan winters can be cold – be sure you do your part to keep your lower level space warm and inviting.
Lower level finishing is a great way to enhance your home’s value and add to your living space. The pros at Titus Contracting can take your Eagan residence and manage the entire design-build process for you.
Give us a call today at 952-746-7817 or Contact Us to learn how we can take your lower level and make it into something awesome!
Written by Scott Rajavuori on November 4, 2016